This post was last updated on August 12, 2021 by Preethi Sukumaran
“Dear Team Krya,
How you doing? Just loved your creation of the Damage Repair Hair System (hair oil,mask and wash).Must admit my hair looks, feels so healthy, thicker and itchiness is gone. This is a huge improvement considering how chemically damaged my hair is.
Keep rocking Krya Team, God bless.” – SS, Mumbai
Sadly, one of our small, but growing hair care range has a fiercely dedicated consumer base – I use the word sadly, because the hair care rage I am referring to is the Krya Damage Repair Hair care range. And this range draws business from the extensive, growing chemical hair damage we are witnessing, thanks to the explosion of professional hair salons and hair texture altering products which we now have easy access to.
The Hair Damage Season
The hair damage season in India, coincides with the festive season in India that starts from Diwali. This is a season of massive hair and skin experimentation with huge textural and structural damage done to hair. This continues for a few months until New Year celebrations are done and dusted. Holi, in March is the “results” season. most people are down in the dumps post Holi when they see just how dry, damaged and fragile their hair is – and the synthetic holi colours sprayed on hair, don’t help.
I get it. I really really do. I have a small picture of myself of about 10 years ago rocking a super short page boy cut with atleast 3 different layered colours applied , and posing with a hookah a-la Zeenat Aman (yes this was a throwback to Bollywood party).
BUT. And here’s the big but – constant colouring and texture alteration experiments severely damage your hair. And it is not just us at Krya , who know so. We are joined by a growing body of serious research, dermatologists, trichologists, ironically, salon professionals and January Jones.
Is your hair chemically damaged? 5 warning signs:
The external signs of chemically damaged hair are
- Dry and brittle hair strands
- A problem scalp which either develops thick oily dandruff, or is extremely dry and itchy,
- Dry, straw like hair ends,
- Rapid increase in split ends where the split end travels to the middle of the hair strand, and finally
- Hair that just won’t grow like it used to before chemical colouring
Increased hair porosity: sign of chemical damage
Severely chemically treated hair becomes extremely porous because of multiple injuries to the hair cuticle. When tested in water, this kind of hair will absorb water and sink to the bottom as its porosity allows water to invade the hair. In this state, hair is vulnerable to the many chemicals that are applied on it ( like shampoo) and will absorb all of them increasing damage.
When hair is extremely porous, it snaps and breaks quickly. It becomes physically very fragile and tenuous. It also feels rough, looks dull and has no gloss.
Why repeated hair colouring damages hair
Many people do not realise the chemical damage that frequent synthetic hair colours do to hair. Synthetic hair colours and dyes permanently damage the hair shaft as they lift the cuticular structure and inject chemicals like PPD inside the hair shaft to ensure the hair colour stays longer without getting washed out. (The lack of this kind of chemical in natural hair colours is why they wash out much faster from your hair compared to your salon brand of hair colour).
Scalp toxins in chemically damaged hair: slows down hair growth
Chemically damaged hair also contains a layer of toxins on the scalp as this kind of hair is regularly coated with synthetic conditioners and treatments to artificially smoothen it and “condition” it externally.
These Scalp toxins cover the surface of the scalp slowing down fresh hair growth. This also forms a barrier and starves the hair follicles of much needed moisturisation and nourishment. Therefore the hair growth is poor and hair that sprouts is weak, and shallow rooted, easily prone to hair fall.
How to treat chemically damaged hair?
- STOP chemical treatments NOW. Chemically damaged hair should not be further ill treated. So cease and desist from smoothen-ing it or “super conditioning” it on the advice of your salon which wrought the damage in the first place.
- Nourish it with nutrient rich Ayurvedic hair oils externally and high quality, well-balanced meals internally.
Can this guarantee that your hair will be restored back to its pre-chemical damage era? Well, No. Nobody can give you that guarantee.
But if you cease and desist from torturing your hair any further, eat well, have a reasonably healthy body, oil your hair regularly with the right products, and use a mild natural hair-wash like ours which doesn’t damage it further, there’s a good chance that your hair will recuperate and make its way back to health.
To Conclude: restoring the health of Chemically damaged hair
Hair care is never simply external. And healthy hair always looks great. So Ayurveda advises us to nourish hair deeply , both internally and externally, so that it looks its best.
Nourishment is even more critical when hair is chemically damaged. As we have seen, chemical treatments not only damage the hair strands. They also coat and layer the scalp with toxins, preventing healthy hair growth.
Chemically damaged hair must be treated gently and holistically. To ensure good raw material to grow healthy new hair, eat a balanced diet. Oil chemically damaged hair frequently with the right ayurvedic hair oils that can restore health AND detoxify the scalp. Wash chemically damaged hair with a very mild, and natural hairwash – but do NOT over-wash your hair .
If you have more questions on healing chemically damaged hair and would like our advice, do write to us.
Krya’s products to heal chemically damaged hair:
- Krya Damage Repair hair wash – mild, gentle, does not irritate stressed out scalp, and helps detoxify the scalp
- Krya Damage repair Hair Mask – nourishing and healing and helps nourish damaged hair and detoxifies the scalp. a must to heal chemically damaged hair.
- Krya Damage repair Hair oil – our cornerstone damage repairing and hair re-vitalising ayurvedic oil. Packed with rich ayurvedic herbs and cold pressed organic oils, the oil restores gloss, shine and health to hair. It detoxifies the scalp and stimulates fresh, healthy, deep rooted new hair growth.
- Krya Damage repair Hair revitalising system: All 3 of the above at a special price
Krya’s safe , all natural hair colours to help you STOP further damage:
- Krya’s all-natural, 3 basic hair colours : Made with hair nourishing and scalp detoxifying Ayurvedic herbs
- Krya’s all-natural Creamy Colour Strengthening hair Mask with Marigold & Moringa : naturally conditions hair, improves gloss and helps lock in natural colours better onto hair
- Krya’s nourishment packed, ayurvedic Krya Vibrant hair oil for naturally coloured hair: seals in colour, locks in moisture, detoxifies scalp and promotes healthy hair growth